The Fourth Way - P.D.Ouspensky
Chapter 1-What the system is about-Study of Psychology-Incompleteness of Man-Study of the World and study of Man- Principle of Scale-Possible Evolution-Self study-Many I's-Division of Functions-Four States of Consciousness-Self-Observation-Self Remembering-Two Higher Functions-Wrong work of the machine-Imagination-Lying-Absence of Will-lack of control-Expression of unpleasant Emotions-Negative Emotions-Change of Attitudes-Observation of Functions-Identification-Considering-Sleep-Prison and Escape-Seven Categories of man-Mechanicalness-Law of Three-Law of Seven-Illusions- We cannot 'do'-Good and Evil-Mortality and conscience-Only a few can develop-A, B and C influences-Magnetic centre- We live in a bad place in the Universe.Ray of Creation-orders of Law.
Before I begin to explain to you in a general way what this system is about, and to talk about our methods, I want particularly to impress on your minds that the most important ideas and principles of the system do not belong to me. This is chiefly what makes them valuable, because if they belonged to me they would be like all other theories invented by ordinary minds-they would give only a subjective view of things.
I came to two conclusions in the course of these experiments:first, first, that we do not know enough about ordinary psychology; we cannot study supernornal psychology, because we do not know normal psychology. Secondly I came to the conclusion that certain real knowledge exists; that for some reason they are hidden and this knowledge is hidden. So I began to look for these schools. I travelled in Europe, Egypt, India, Ceylon, Turkey and the Near East; but it was really later, when I had already finished these travels, that I met in Russia during the war a group of people who were studying a cartain system which came originally from Eastern schools. This system began with the study of psychology, exactly as I had realized it must begin.
The chief idea of this system was that we do not use even a small part of our powers and our forces. We have in us, so to speak, a very big and very fine organization, only we do not know how to use it. It this group they employed certain oriental metaphors, and they told me that we have in us a large house full of beautiful furniture, with a library and many other rooms, but we live in the basement and the kitchen and cannot get out of them. If people tell us about what this house has upstairs we do not believe them, or we laugh at them, or we call it superstition or fairy tales or fables.
This system can be divided into study of the world on certain new principles, and study of man. The study of the world and the study of man include in themselves a kind of special language. We try to use ordinary words as we use ordinary conversation, but we attach a slightly different and more precise meaning to them. Study of the world, study of the Universe, is based on the study of some fundemential laws which are not generally known as recognized in science. The two chief laws are the Law of Three and the Law of Seven, which will be explained later. Included in this, and the necessary from this point of view, is the principle od scalke-a principle which does not enter into ordinary scientific study, or enters very little.
The study of man is closely connected with the idea of the evolution of man, but the evolution of man must be understood in a slightly different way from the ordinary. Ordinarily the word evolution applied either to man or to anything else presupposes a kind of mechanical evolution;I mean that certain things, by certain known or unkn own laws, transform into other things, and these other things transform into still others, and so on.But from the point of view of this system there is no such evolution at all.-I do not speak in general, but specifically of man. The evolution of man, if it occurs, can only be the result of knowledge and effort; as long as man knows only what he can know in the ordinary way, there is no evolution for him and there never was any evolution for him.
Reference: The Fourth Way: P.D.Ouspensky
- Contact Us
- Planetary Existences-2
- Planetary Existences
- TWO REVELATIONS-2
- The Two Revelations
- Universality of Initiation
- Discipleship - Group Relations - 2
- The Probationary Path - 2
- The Path Of Initiation
- Initiation and the Devas
- The Participants In The Mysteries-2
- Jeffery Epstein - The Saga - 8
- Jeffery Epstein - The Saga - 10
- The Final Initiation
- The Succeeding Two Initiations
- Jeffery Epstein - The Saga - 9
- Impeachment Investigators Subpoena White House - Ukraine
- The Fourth Way - Study of Oneself - P.D.Ouspensky
- Discipleship - Group Relationships
- The Participants In The Mysteries
- Cosmic Influences and Solar Initiations
- Diagram Solar and Planetary Hierarchies
- HAMPSTEAD CASE: Children’s Whistleblowing Testimonies on Satanic Cult in Hampstead
- Jeffery Epstein - The Saga - 7
- Jeffery Epstein - The Saga - 6
- Jeffery Epstein - The Saga - 4
- X Men-Review
- The Probationary Path
- The Science of Meditation
- The Present Work
- Practice Areas
- Certain Masters And Their Work - 2
Articles - Latest
- Indian farmers hold mass rally to keep pressure on Modi government
- Macron breaks ranks with EU in refusing to lock down unvaccinated French citizens
- 'Better out of EU!' Furious French fishermen turn on Macron as France 'surrenders' to UK
- Ghislaine Maxwell ‘rested high-heeled boot’ on Boris Johnson’s thigh after meeting him at university
- President Biden left ‘angry’ after Rittenhouse is cleared of murder
- Russia paying 'close attention' to UK's flagship aircraft carrier after F-35 jet crashes into sea
- Putin sounds alarm bells after seizing control of Iran gas in 'final act to secure Europe'
- Britain to send more troops to Polish border amid fears migrants will eventually make way to UK
- Joe Biden to transfer power to Kamala Harris 'for short period'
- S.Korea scrambles fighter jets as China, Russia aircraft enter air defense zone
- High Court action launched against USS plans
- Prince Andrew’s £1.5m loan paid off by firms linked to Tory donor – report
- Liverpool hospital bomb likely to have been low-end device, says expert
- Hundreds go missing in Burkina Faso amid extremist violence
- Ghislaine Maxwell dyes hair and changes outfit in 'trial makeover'
- EU told 'act now' to prevent war with Russia as Germany retaliates to Putin's gas threat
- Starmer: Allegations against PM's father should be 'fully investigated'
- Former president Trump to sell DC hotel after $70 million loss
- Gang members jailed over Britain’s biggest burglary spree targeting celebrities
- Revealed: 16 MPs claim £1.3m in rent from taxpayer – while letting their own homes
Who's On Line
We have 39 guests and no members online