Who's On Line

We have 200 guests and 2 members online

Login Form

MailChimp

Subscribe to Newsletter
Please wait

PM says Royal Navy to stay on patrol in Jersey as French fishing boats leave after Brexit protest

Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive

uk flaguk flaguk flaguk flaguk flaguk flaguk flag

PM says Royal Navy to stay on patrol in Jersey as French fishing boats leave after Brexit protest

A French military ship and fishing boats protesting over post-Brexit fishing rights around Jersey have returned to France - but Royal Navy ships will remain, Boris Johnson said.

The French military ops ship Athos was deployed on Thursday on a "patrol mission" after the UK sent two Royal Navy ships - HMS Severn and HMS Tamar - to Jersey "as a precaution" on Wednesday night.

Boris Johnson sent the ships ahead of a fleet of about 50 French fishing boats descending on Jersey early on Thursday after they threatened to blockade the port of St Helier to prevent goods from being delivered.

a large ship in a body of water: HMS Tamar is a new Royal Navy patrol ship. Pic: MoD

The French fishing fleet returned to France after lunchtime following talks with Jersey authorities, as did Athos.

The French foreign ministry said the UK has breached its Brexit agreement with the EU over how fishing permits to access UK waters are being issued to French boats so it is "acting in a spirit of responsibility". 

Reference: Sky News: Sunita Patel-Carstairs and Alix Culbertson, news reporters   

Blaze rips through tower block flat 'with Grenfell-style cladding'

Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive

uk flaguk flaguk flaguk flaguk flaguk flaguk flag

Blaze rips through tower block flat 'with Grenfell-style cladding'

A blaze has ripped through a London tower block, believed to still have Grenfell-style cladding nearly four years after the tragedy, despite multiple warnings from locals. 

More than 125 firefighters in 20 vehicles have spent the morning battling the blaze at New Providence Wharf, near Canary Wharf, in the east of the capital. 

London Ambulance Service said a 'number of people' have been treated, though the extent of their injuries is not yet known. 

Witnesses on social media reported that everyone inside the 19-storey building had been evacuated, with some claiming to have been allowed back inside their homes.

However, London Fire Brigade was unable to confirm details of the evacuation. 

Parts of the eighth, ninth and tenth floors sparked alight just before 9am, as dozens of firefighters scrambled to the block of apartments, which overlook the River Thames and the O2.  

Homeowners reportedly weren't alerted to the blaze by the fire alarm for more than half an hour, with one resident claiming they only noticed when they woke up to the smell of smoke. 

Other witnesses reported seeing people 'stuck on their balconies and shouting for help' as dozens of people rushed to safety. 

a building on fire: MailOnline logo

The cause of the fire is not known at this stage. 

The building is believed to be covered in ACM cladding, the same type used on Grenfell Tower, which went up in flames in 2017 and local campaigners and politicians have long called for it to be swiftly removed.

Two years after the tragedy, which claimed 72 deaths, ministers pledged £200m for the aluminium composite material to be taken out from 170 privately-owned towers across the UK.  

However, work is understood to have never begun on making the change on site, despite the funding being available for some 24 months.

A blaze has ripped through a London tower block, believed to still have Grenfell-style cladding nearly four years after the tragedy, despite multiple warnings from locals. 

More than 125 firefighters in 20 vehicles have spent the morning battling the blaze at New Providence Wharf, near Canary Wharf, in the east of the capital. 

London Ambulance Service said a 'number of people' have been treated, though the extent of their injuries is not yet known. 

Witnesses on social media reported that everyone inside the 19-storey building had been evacuated, with some claiming to have been allowed back inside their homes. 

However, London Fire Brigade was unable to confirm details of the evacuation. 

Parts of the eighth, ninth and tenth floors sparked alight just before 9am, as dozens of firefighters scrambled to the block of apartments, which overlook the River Thames and the O2.  

Homeowners reportedly weren't alerted to the blaze by the fire alarm for more than half an hour, with one resident claiming they only noticed when they woke up to the smell of smoke. 

Other witnesses reported seeing people 'stuck on their balconies and shouting for help' as dozens of people rushed to safety. 

The cause of the fire is not known at this stage. 

The building is believed to be covered in ACM cladding, the same type used on Grenfell Tower, which went up in flames in 2017 and local campaigners and politicians have long called for it to be swiftly removed.

Two years after the tragedy, which claimed 72 deaths, ministers pledged £200m for the aluminium composite material to be taken out from 170 privately-owned towers across the UK.  

However, work is understood to have never begun on making the change on site, despite the funding being available for some 24 months.

reference: Tom Pyman For Mailonline   

France threatens to cut off Jersey’s electricity as ‘retaliation’ amid Brexit fishing row

Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive

french flagfrench flagfrench flagfrench flagfrench flagfrench flagfrench flag

France threatens to cut off Jersey’s electricity as ‘retaliation’ amid Brexit fishing row

France has threatened to cut off Jersey’s electricity supply amid an ongoing row over post-Brexit fishing rights.

Maritime minister Annick Girdardin suggested the move during a speech in the French Parliament, warning Paris was ready to use “retaliatory measures” following claims French fishermen are being blocked from operating in the Channel Islands.

“I am sorry it has come to this [but] we will do so if we have to,” she said on Tuesday.

Jersey, the largest of the Channel Islands, relies on France for 95 per cent of its electricity supply, which is fed through three underwater cables. 

France has threatened to cut off Jersey’s electricity supply amid an ongoing row over post-Brexit fishing rights.

Maritime minister Annick Girdardin suggested the move during a speech in the French Parliament, warning Paris was ready to use “retaliatory measures” following claims French fishermen are being blocked from operating in the Channel Islands.

“I am sorry it has come to this [but] we will do so if we have to,” she said on Tuesday.

Territorial waters of Jersey

Jersey, the largest of the Channel Islands, relies on France for 95 per cent of its electricity supply, which is fed through three underwater cables. 

The minister’s comments mark the latest escalation in a row over access to British fishing waters.

French seamen have accused the UK of dragging its feet over issuing new licences needed to fish in its waters.

Following the UK’s departure from the European Union, French fishing boat operators must now prove they have fished in UK waters for five years before the 2016 referendum to obtain a licence – which only Jersey can issue.

On Friday, Jersey authorised 41 French fishing vessels - equipped with technology enabling their location to be tracked - to fish in waters off the island.

But the French government claimed there were other new rules the country had not been informed about and complained its fishermen were being limited to where and how long they could fish for.

Last month, French fishermen blockaded a Channel port to hold up British catches arriving by lorry in protest against the new rules, which they believe to be overly bureaucratic.

At the time, Bruno Margolle, who leads the main fishermen’s cooperative in Boulogne-sur-Mer, told Reuters news agency: “We thought it would be a matter of days. Four months on, we’ve barely moved forwards.”

The British government has previously denied responsibility for the licence delays, with the prime minister’s official spokesman saying it takes an “evidenced-based approach” to licensing EU fishing vessels using the information supplied by the European Commission. 

Reference: Independent: Chiara Giordano  

Police hunting killer of PCSO Julia James release picture of man they wish to trace

Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive

us flagus flagus flagus flagus flagus flagus flagus flagus flag

Police hunting killer of PCSO Julia James release picture of man they wish to trace

Detectives hunting the killer of PCSO Julia James have issued an image of a man they believe could be key to the investigation.

Police said they want to speak to the man who is understood to have been in the Aylesham area on Wednesday 28 April 2021 – the day after the 53-year-old mother of two was murdered.

In the picture released by police, the man is wearing a black hoodie and carrying a large Nike holdall.

He has short curly hair and a stubble under his chin. The image appears to show the man walking through a field.

Mrs James was found with severe head injuries at around 4pm on Tuesday 27 April on a footpath next to Akholt Wood in the Snowdown area of Kent.

She had been working at home that day alone and was killed after taking her Jack Russell terrier, Toby out for a walk.

a close up of a person wearing a hat and smiling at the camera: Julia James was killed as she walked her dog close to her home in Kent

Assistant Chief Constable Tom Richards from Kent Police said: "We are now in a position to release an image of a man we would like to speak to.

"We firmly believe he has information that could help this investigation and we urge him to come forward.

"We are also appealing to the public or anyone who knows this individual to please come forward with his details. 

"Perhaps he lives near you, perhaps you work with him or perhaps he visits your local shop to buy food. Please get in touch and help us find the answers Julia’s family deserve."

It comes as Kent Chief Constable Alan Pughsley urged the killer to give themselves up. 

He said: "Hand yourself in because we are coming to get you at some stage....You will never ever completely get away with this you have to keep looking over your shoulder and at some stage we will be there to get you and we will get you so the best thing you can do is hand yourself in."

He went on: "We are not ruling out anything at this moment in time. A key message to all of our communities is to remain vigilant at this moment in time. 

"We have not found this person yet, so we want people to be safe, we want them to be vigilant, we want them to be aware of their surroundings and therefore with our expertise and our history and our knowledge and the brilliance of my officers and staff we are looking at everything. 

"We are not ruling anything out and we are not ruling anything particularly in." 

Reference: Telegraph: Martin Evans  

Man in his 30s is stabbed to death as police arrest five children

Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive

uk flaguk flaguk flaguk flaguk flaguk flag

Man in his 30s is stabbed to death as police arrest five children

Police have arrested five children aged 13 to 16 after a Good Samaritan in his 30s was stabbed to death while trying to help another man.   

The victim was stabbed in Laindon, Essex, at around 9.30pm on Sunday while 'going to the aid of another man'.  

Police have since arrested three boys and two girls in connection with the killing.

The victim was found in Iris Mews with stab wounds and died at the scene despite efforts by paramedics. 

Detective chief superintendent Steve Jennings, of the Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate, said: 'Our enquiries have led us to believe the victim was going to the aid of another man and, as a result, he lost his life during an altercation which ensued with a group of young people not directly known to him.

'It is a tragic loss of life and we are continuing to appeal for the public's help.

'We are really keen to hear from anyone who was in the area at the time and may have seen or heard anything happen in Iris Mews shortly before 9.30pm on Sunday.

'We are also keen to hear from anyone who has seen any discarded weapons in the area. 

a car parked on the side of a building: MailOnline logo

Police have arrested five children aged 13 to 16 after a Good Samaritan in his 30s was stabbed to death while trying to help another man.   

The victim was stabbed in Laindon, Essex, at around 9.30pm on Sunday while 'going to the aid of another man'.  

Police have since arrested three boys and two girls in connection with the killing.

The victim was found in Iris Mews with stab wounds and died at the scene despite efforts by paramedics.   

Detective chief superintendent Steve Jennings, of the Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate, said: 'Our enquiries have led us to believe the victim was going to the aid of another man and, as a result, he lost his life during an altercation which ensued with a group of young people not directly known to him.

'It is a tragic loss of life and we are continuing to appeal for the public's help.

'We are really keen to hear from anyone who was in the area at the time and may have seen or heard anything happen in Iris Mews shortly before 9.30pm on Sunday.

'We are also keen to hear from anyone who has seen any discarded weapons in the area.

'If anyone knows anything about this murder and has not yet come forward to speak to us, please do.

'A family has been broken apart, and we need to get to the bottom of what happened.'

Four teenagers were arrested on the night, with another picked up on Monday.

Two of the teenagers have since been released on bail until May 25 and May 28, a further child was released on bail overnight and two others remain in custody. 

Reference: Isabella Nikolic For Mailonline  

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.

Ok
X

Right Click

No right click