Ethnic minority woman wins India's presidential election
Droupadi Murmu, a leader from India’s ruling Bharatiya Janata Party, was elected by the Indian Parliament and state legislatures in voting held Monday, making her the first president from one of the country’s tribes and the second-ever woman to hold the position.
She will be formally sworn in as the president on Monday.
Murmu, 64, who hails from the eastern state of Odisha and was governor of Jharkhand state from 2015-2021, is a member of the Santal ethnic minority, one of India’s largest tribal groups. She started out as a school teacher before entering politics and has been a two-time lawmaker from Prime Minister Narendra Modi's party.P
Murmu’s father and her grandfather were village headmen in Baidaposi in Mayurbhanj district in Odisha.
Murmu’s supporters and Modi’s BJP party see her win as a triumph of tribal people and a breakthrough moment for her community, which generally lacks health care and education facilities in remote villages.
Opposition parties, however, are doubtful whether she would be able to help empower and bring any change to the marginalized community.
The president’s role in India is largely ceremonial, but the position can be important during times of political uncertainty such as a hung parliament, when the office assumes greater power. She is bound by the advice of the Cabinet led by the prime minister, who is the chief executive.
She will replace Ram Nath Kovind, a Hindu nationalist leader from the Dalit community, which is at the lowest end of Hinduism’s complex caste hierarchy. Kovind has been president since 2017.
Murmu won against her opponent, Yashwant Sinha, a former BJP rebel who quit the party following differences with Modi on economic issues in 2018. Since then, Sinha has been a vocal critic of Modi and his government.
Indian lawmakers will vote for the country’s new vice president in August.
Reference: SHEIKH SAALIQ, Associated Press
- Contact Us
- Planetary Existences-2
- Planetary Existences
- TWO REVELATIONS-2
- The Two Revelations
- Universality of Initiation
- Discipleship - Group Relations - 2
- Jeffery Epstein - The Saga - 8
- Jeffery Epstein - The Saga - 10
- The Path Of Initiation
- The Participants In The Mysteries-2
- The Probationary Path - 2
- Initiation and the Devas
- Jeffery Epstein - The Saga - 9
- The Final Initiation
- Impeachment Investigators Subpoena White House - Ukraine
- The Succeeding Two Initiations
- The Fourth Way - Study of Oneself - P.D.Ouspensky
- Discipleship - Group Relationships
- The Participants In The Mysteries
- Cosmic Influences and Solar Initiations
- HAMPSTEAD CASE: Children’s Whistleblowing Testimonies on Satanic Cult in Hampstead
- Jeffery Epstein - The Saga - 7
Articles - Latest
- Sophie Wessex's Camilla snub: Claimed people 'didn't want her as Queen'
- Princess Beatrice and Queen Camilla promoted to new roles under King Charles III's reign Katie Sewell - 10h ago
- Pound falls again as Bank rules out emergency rate rise
- Home Office to reopen immigration detention centres with £399m deal
- Liz Truss hit by Tory backlash after lifting ban on fracking
- Former Pakistan PM Imran Khan apologises in court as he bids to stay out of jail and avoid contempt
- North Korea preparing to test fire submarine-launched ballistic missile, says report
- Former Vice Minister of Public Security sentenced to death in China for taking bribes
- Malaysia's ex-PM Najib given medical all-clear to return to prison
- UN orders evacuation of non-essential staff in Haiti due to increased violence
- DWP issues update on £150 cost of living payment after delays
- Ukraine war latest: Ukraine recaptures fresh territory as annexation polls open
- King Charles' Cousin Doesn't Hold Back On How The Royal Family Treats Meghan Markle
- Philadelphia contract killer admits to murdering six people
- Prince Andrew’s ‘secret plot against Charles’ revealed