Mysterious 'elves' and 'sprites' seen in Jupiter's atmosphere from Nasa mission
Strange “sprites” or “elves” have been seen on Jupiter from Nasa’s Juno mission.
The supernaturally-named phenomena refer to transient luminous events – bright, unpredictable, and bizzaire flashes of light.
It is the first time such events have ever been seen on another world, Nasa says.
The lights on the solar system’s largest planets were predicted by scientists, who thought that they would be observed in Jupiter’s liquid-like atmosphere.
They were discovered by scientists who were working with the ultraviolet spectrograph instrument on Juno, a space probe orbiting the planet.
"UVS was designed to characterize Jupiter's beautiful northern and southern lights," said Giles, a Juno scientist and the lead author of the paper.
"But we discovered UVS images that not only showed Jovian aurora, but also a bright flash of UV light over in the corner where it wasn't supposed to be. The more our team looked into it, the more we realized Juno may have detected a TLE on Jupiter."
A “sprite” is a transient light event triggered by lightning discharges from thunderstorms below it.
On Earth, they only last for a few milliseconds, distinguishable by a central light with long tendrils both reaching towards the ground and upwards towards the sky.
Meanwhile “elves”, which is short for Emission of Light and Very Low Frequency perturbations due to Electromagnetic Pulse Sources, look like a flattened disk, and are found in the upper atmosphere.
While they are equally ephemeral, they can grow to sizes of 320 kilometers across on Earth.
"On Earth, sprites and elves appear reddish in colour due to their interaction with nitrogen in the upper atmosphere," said Giles.
"But on Jupiter, the upper atmosphere mostly consists of hydrogen, so they would likely appear either blue or pink."
These events could have been simply huge bolts of lightning, but scientists quickly ruled out that possibility; the lights were found 300 kilometers) above the altitude of Jupiter’s water-cloud layer, where where the majority of the planet’s lightning is formed.
Moreover, the spectrograph recorded that the bright flashes were dominated by hydrogen emissions.
"We're continuing to look for more telltale signs of elves and sprites every time Juno does a science pass," said Giles.
"Now that we know what we are looking for, it will be easier to find them at Jupiter and on other planets. And comparing sprites and elves from Jupiter with those here on Earth will help us better understand electrical activity in planetary atmospheres."
The findings were published on 27 October, in the Journal of Geophysical Research: Planets.
In 2016, the Juno mission broke records by orbiting closer to the giant planet than any man-made object before it.
It has brought back information on Jupiter’s huge storms giving scientists crucial data “Jovian lightning” that revealed they are even more similar to Earth’s thunderstorms than previously thought.
Reference: Independent: Adam Smith;
- Contact Us
- Planetary Existences-2
- Planetary Existences
- TWO REVELATIONS-2
- The Two Revelations
- Universality of Initiation
- Discipleship - Group Relations - 2
- The Probationary Path - 2
- The Path Of Initiation
- The Participants In The Mysteries-2
- Initiation and the Devas
- Jeffery Epstein - The Saga - 8
- Jeffery Epstein - The Saga - 10
- Jeffery Epstein - The Saga - 9
- The Final Initiation
- The Succeeding Two Initiations
- Impeachment Investigators Subpoena White House - Ukraine
- The Fourth Way - Study of Oneself - P.D.Ouspensky
- Discipleship - Group Relationships
- The Participants In The Mysteries
- Cosmic Influences and Solar Initiations
- HAMPSTEAD CASE: Children’s Whistleblowing Testimonies on Satanic Cult in Hampstead
- Diagram Solar and Planetary Hierarchies
- Jeffery Epstein - The Saga - 7
- Jeffery Epstein - The Saga - 6
- X Men-Review
- Jeffery Epstein - The Saga - 4
- The Probationary Path
- The Present Work
- Certain Masters And Their Work - 2
- The Science of Meditation
- Practice Areas
Articles - Latest
- Ryanair faces discrimination claims after giving fliers a test in Afrikaans
- Voices: The reason we’ve been given four days off for the jubilee has nothing to do with the Queen
- War fears as Chinese military conducts 'readiness patrol' around Taiwan 'Necessary action'
- Alexei Navalny says he faces new criminal charges in Russia
- Wife of former Qatari prince ‘died of grief’ after losing custody claim
- North Korea's Kim Jong-un joins tributes to the Queen as leaders hail Her Majesty
- Who is the Duke of Kent? Why the Queen’s cousin Prince Edward joined her on the balcony at Trooping the Colour
- America is steeped in violence. And the roots of that violence go deep
- Platinum Jubilee maps show where beacons will be lit up across UK
- OPINION - William must bear the boos and prepare his family to face its history
- The racist legislation that led to Windrush
- Élisabeth Borne becomes France’s first female prime minister in 30 years
- Greek man gets life sentence for killing British wife
- 'King of Mayfair' is in a bitter planning row with neighbours over his £40m mansion
- Buffalo shooting: White supremacist who shot 10 dead called for Sadiq Khan's death
- Queen Elizabeth should be allowed to retire so King Charles and Queen Camilla can take over – Susan Morrrison
- Putin’s ex-wife and family members targeted in latest tranche of UK sanctions
- ‘Lost’ Picasso spotted in Imelda Marcos’s home after son’s election win
- Jamaicans with disabilities who came to UK as children facing ‘unjust and inhumane’ deportation
- Donald Trump must pay £90,000 to escape contempt finding
Who's On Line
We have 68 guests and no members online