![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
Man who threw petrol bomb at Dover migrant centre pictured and named for first time
Police has named the name believed to have killed himself after fire bombs were thrown at a Dover immigration centre as Andrew Leak. Counter Terrorism Police are also now leading investigation the into the attack, Kent Police confirmed today.
The incident, which happened at the Home Office immigration centre in Dover at around 11.20am on Sunday October 30, involved a number of crude incendiary devices thrown outside and into the premises by a man who arrived at the scene, alone in a car.
The suspect's vehicle was quickly located nearby with the man found dead inside.
Two members of staff reported sustaining minor injuries from inside the immigration premises.
A Kent Police spokesman said: "He has since been identified as Andrew Leak, aged 66, from High Wycombe.
"A search warrant was carried out at a property in the High Wycombe area in Buckinghamshire on Monday 31 October, and a number of items of interest were recovered, including digital media devices, which are being examined as quickly as possible.
"Due to the nature of the evidence gathered so far, it is clear that officers with specialist knowledge, resources and experience are best placed to lead this work to determine the motivating factors.
"There is currently nothing to suggest the man involved was working alongside anyone else, and there is not believed to be any wider threat to the community in the High Wycombe area or in Dover."
Detective Chief Superintendent Olly Wright, Head of CTPSE, said: "This was a traumatic incident for everyone involved, and the wider community, and we're working hard to establish exactly what led to the events on Sunday morning.
"We understand that when Counter Terrorism Policing become involved, it can be worrying for some people, but I would like to reassure people that there is nothing to suggest any ongoing wider threat at this time.
He added: "What appears clear is that this despicable offence was targeted and likely to be driven by some form of hate filled grievance, though this may not necessarily meet the threshold of terrorism.
"At this point, the incident itself has not been declared a terrorist incident, but this is being kept under review as the investigation progresses."
The investigation into this incident continues and anyone with any information is asked to go to the Major Incident Public Portal. Footage and pictures relating to this incident can also be uploaded here.
Reference: Daily Express: Ciaran McGrath
